Here at Love Taste we’re big fans of super foods. Flax seeds are one of our favourites and we put milled flax in our Blueberry Thrill Smoothie and our Acai Bomb Smoothie Bowls to make them even more nutritious.
Flax seeds – also known as linseeds - are packed full of goodness including protein, fibre and omega-3 fatty acids. Here are some of their biggest health benefits:
- Omega-3 fats – flax seeds are a rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a mostly plant based fatty acid. ALA is a fatty acid our bodies don’t produce so you need to obtain it from the food you eat
- High fibre – just one tablespoon of flax seeds contains three grams of fibre
- Cholesterol – studies report that eating flax seeds can lower cholesterol
- Plant-based protein– flax seeds are a great source of plant based protein – ideal for vegans!
- They can keep hunger at bay – due to their soluble fibre content flax seeds can help suppress hunger cravings and increase feelings of fullness
Try adding a sprinkle of linseeds (whole or milled) to your muesli or blend in to your smoothie to pack it extra full of goodness!
Love Taste Co x