We’ve launched a brand new smoothie Matcha The Day – a clean, green glass of goodness! This fresh tasting fruit and veg smoothie combines banana, peach, pineapple, spinach, apple and the magic ingredient – matcha!
Why matcha? You may have heard of its energising properties or seen it in teas, lattes or even in noodles - but what is it and what does it do?
What is Matcha?
Matcha is a premium green tea powder that is used for drinking as tea or as an ingredient. It is a finely ground powder of specially grown and processed green tea leaves. Green tea plants used for matcha are shade-grown for three to four weeks before harvest and the stems and veins are removed during processing. During shaded growth the plant produces more of the amino acid theanine and caffeine than regular green tea, giving it more powerful properties. It also produces more chlorophyll, giving it its dark green colour.
Why is Matcha good for you?
Matcha is packed full of health benefits!
- It is full of antioxidants including the powerful EGCg – apparently it contains 20 times more antioxidants than blueberries. Antioxidants counteract the effects of free radicals so they strengthen cells, help fight disease and slow down the ageing process
- Matcha boosts metabolism and may help burn calories
- The chlorophyll in matcha helps the body detoxify from chemicals and heavy metals
- Matcha both calms you and energises you! It contains the amino acid L-Theanine, which helps calm the mind as well as increasing alertness. This may be why Japanese Zen masters drank it to aid meditation! Studies have proved that matcha reduces anxiety.
- Matcha gives you energy! It has more caffeine than regular Green tea and about half that of coffee so it gives you energy but without the jitters!
If you don’t fancy a green latte or messing around with powder then blitz yourself up a Matcha The Day! It will be available on Ocado very soon so look out for it!
Love Taste Team x